Sunday, November 21, 2010

Alexander McMET


Rumor has it that the Metropolitan Museum of Art (a.k.a my favorite place in the whole wide world) is jumping on the bandwagon in honoring Alexander McQueen through a major costume exhibit planned to open in early May of 2011. His suicide was mourned by the entire fashion world and the price tags on his clothing grew (I know, you didn’t think it was possible, well it was).  The MET’s costume exhibits are always jaw-dropping and I don’t expect anything less than that for McQueen’s honorary exhibit. I will never forget my first one in 2006, “Nan Kempner: American Chic.” I won’t lie and say that I knew who she was prior to the exhibit, but after leaving, I was more than inspired. One piece I will never forget was her baby blue Dior ski outfit. It made me want to ski (and I truly, passionately, vehemently despise skiing--so that's impressive). The most recent exhibit was “American Woman: Fashioning a National Identity,” and I loved it! Each room was a different decade starting with the 1890s; they were decorated to perfection! My big dislike was that they put the 1950s-2000s in one room with projectors displaying fashion images in little squares on all four walls and the ceiling. Don’t get me wrong, its cool, but I was kind of looking forward to seeing the full-skirted 50s, the mod/hippie 60s, bellbottomed 70s, Madonna-inspired 80s, and 90s…well, I don’t really know. Anyways, what they basically did was condense all of that fashion history into one room...whatever! Even when I know there is no exhibit going on there I will skip past the mummies (I really do skip), turn the corner, only to find that my anticipation has been shot by a “Do Not Enter” sign. Oh well. 

Check out a preview of Alexander McQueen's spring/summer 2010 collection...
http://www.alexandermcqueen.com/int/en/corporate/archive2011_pss_womens.aspx
Sometimes, I think clothing shouldn't be allowed to be this beautiful! 

До свидания!, (that is goodbye in Russian--learn something new everyday), 

Eileen 

No comments:

Post a Comment