Friday, December 17, 2010

Sex, Drugs, and...Ballet?



Firstly, I would like to apologize for my lack of posting…finals are a killer! I still have an art history exam hanging over my shoulders, but I missed “Home Sweet…Dorm” too much! Blog now, study later.
Anyways, I just saw Black Swan this week and I am still amazed! I feel bad to pump up any expectations about the film, but I am sure you will enjoy it! Director Darren Aronofsky is successful in making the audience feel uncomfortable throughout every second. Each character is multifaceted and you will have a hard time looking away from the screen or taking a trip to the bathroom (no matter how many diet coke’s you drink during the first half)
You might leave the theater feeling slightly confused as to what actually happened in the movie, and the significance of the ending, but I think that is exactly the point. Natalie Portman takes the idea of “becoming the role” to the next level. Rumor has it, Portman lost around twenty pounds for the part; the struggles of becoming the role of Nena (Portman’s role in The Black Swan), and Nena’s endeavor of becoming the black swan, are mindboggling and interrelated. Portman surely did it; most viewers were blown away by what might have been the role of her life.
The Black Swan gives the audience an insiders view to the true pressures of a dancer’s career. Bulimia, nerve-racking auditions, seduction, rejection, competition and strive for perfection, are only the beginning of what is going on inside a dancer’s head. I am hopeful for two things: that I didn’t spoil the whole film in this post, and that Portman wins the Golden Globe! 


Kwaheri (that's goodbye in Swahili), 


Eileen 


P.S. the tune of "Swan Lake" might stick in your head for a few days...

No comments:

Post a Comment